Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
At Bishop Ellis, we embrace the fact that every child is different and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are different. This is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
We aim to do this by;
- Having high expectations and challenge at the right level for children.
- Overcoming barriers to learning.
- Regular learning support assistant support within class.
- Expectation of being independent and building independence.
- Short focused intervention.
- Clear dialogue with parents
- Close liaison with Headteacher, SENco, class teachers and support staff.
- Forming close relationships with our children to ensure that they are able to be open and honest about their difficulties and ensure their happiness and continued progress.
- Celebrating an individual's strengths and giving children the opportunity to see that we are all different and all constantly learning.
The kind of special educational needs for which provision is made at Bishop Ellis
All our staff are trained so that we are able to adapt to a range of special educational needs. For example;
- Specific learning difficulties, including dyslexia (SPLD)
- Autistic spectrum disorders (ASD)
- Speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
- Behavioural, emotional and social difficulties (BESD)